Twitter and Facebook increase police transparency
Cops in the Bay Area are blogging and Tweeting information that would have cops from previous generations 'rolling around in their graves'
By Phil Bronstein
San Francisco Chronicle
SAN FRANCISCO — BART Police Commander Dan Hartwig stood in a Walnut Creek gas station as discreetly as he could for a man as tall as Mount Diablo. Square-jawed, buffed, he seemed the icon of the old-school super cop.
He watched stoically as competing rallies across the street argued over the professional soul of his former colleague Johannes Mehserle. The two groups screamed at each other in 90-plus-degree heat, with some nasty insults aimed at the very authority Hartwig represents.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house