Cops arrest bigamist using Facebook wedding photos
Although Richard Leon Barton Jr. did defriend his wife on Facebook, he never got around to divorcing her
By PoliceOne Staff
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — A man in Michigan was arrested after posting wedding photos to Facebook. There’s no crime in that, right?
In this case, there is: Bigamy.
Although Richard Leon Barton Jr. did defriend his wife, who he split up with in 2004, he never got around to divorcing her. Barton’s first wife later discovered the wedding photos on his new wife’s Facebook page, at which point she alerted police.
According to AllFacebook.com, Barton was charged with polygamy by Muskegon District Court and faces a maximum penalty of four years in prison. He has a criminal record, however, which could add to his penalty.
He got in trouble for home invasion in 2000 and then violated his parole by fleeing to Rhode Island.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms