Photo: Officer hailed as 'hero' for helping woman in rain
The photo was picked up by a news station hours later and became a viral hit
By PoliceOne Staff
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — A North Carolina cop has become an ‘internet hero’ after a man snapped a shot of the officer offering a woman and her child a ride home in the rain.
Officer Charles Ziegler was off-duty and on his way to his security job at a church when he spotted a woman pushing her child in a stroller in the rain, and decided to help, according to NBC.
Ed McNeal, the town’s marketing and communications director, saw the act, snapped a picture of Ziegler carrying the stroller to his trunk, and posted the picture to Twitter.
"My phone just blew up Wednesday night," Ziegler told TODAY.com. "Last night, I got a text message from someone I go to church with and she said I made the news in England.
"I am not trying to belittle anyone, but I think this story’s been made more than it actually is," he said. "It’s me giving a lady and her child a ride. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal…Cops across the state and across the nation, they do stuff like this all the time."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert