Wis. police create viral videos to catch criminals
The police captain hopes that spreading the faces of misdemeanor offenders will prompt more tips or people turning themselves in
By PoliceOne Staff
GREEN BAY, Wis. — The Green Bay Police Department are trying a new approach to catching criminals — by posting a weekly video called ‘Wheel of Warrants’ to YouTube, which features the mug shots of misdemeanor offenders.
Captain Bill Bongle came up with idea, and says he hopes it will catch the community’s attention, according to Fox 11.
"Everybody knows these are serious situations that people are getting offenses for. We've tried other things without a lot of success,” Bongle said. “There are a lot of warrants out there and a lot of these people have not been held accountable.”
The city has 1,100 outstanding warrants that continue to be investigated. Though no one has been turned in yet as a result from the YouTube video, Bongle says more than 1,000 people have watched the clip, and the department’s Facebook page has seen much more traffic.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house