Facebook helps cops crack 45 year old case
Authorities say a Facebook posting has helped police figure out who was driving a car that fatally struck a 4-year-old girl 45 years ago
FULTON, N.Y. — Authorities say a Facebook posting has helped police figure out who was driving a car that fatally struck a 4-year-old upstate New York girl 45 years ago.
The Fulton Police Department says Wednesday that 62-year-old Douglas Parkhurst has been identified as the driver of a car that failed to stop after hitting Carolee Sadie Ashby on Halloween night in 1968. Police say he won't be charged because the statute of limitations has expired.
Police say Carolee was crossing a street with her 15-year-old sister and cousin when she was hit. The driver was never caught.
Authorities say a former Fulton resident living in Florida provided Parkhurst's name after reading a retired detective's Facebook post about the cold case.
An Oswego County phone number for Parkhurst has been disconnected.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court