Video: La. cop locks himself in 100+ degree car to prove point
Officer David Melancon of the Thibodaux Police Department sat locked in his car with no air conditioning and videotaped his slow decline
By PoliceOne Staff
THIBODAUX, La. — A Louisiana cop locked himself in a patrol car in temperatures over 100 degrees to prove a point about safety.
WVUE reports Officer David Melancon of the Thibodaux Police Department sat locked in his car with no air conditioning and videotaped his slow decline.
"It's hot. I can only imagine what a little kid goes through when he's sitting in a car without any air. I feel like I could bake cookies on the dashboard," Melancon says in the video.
The police department created the video to increase awareness of the dangerous practice of leaving children and pets in hot vehicles. Already, there have been several instances of it this year, some of which have been fatal.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house