Urban violence not always done by urban residents
Op-ed author: Chicago mob attacks in recent weeks show suburbanites to blame, dangers of assuming 'thugs' are the cause
By Mary Mitchell
Chicago Sun-Times (Commentary)
CHICAGO — Urban youth are often blamed for the mayhem that has helped give Chicago a reputation for being a beautiful but violent city.
But as evidenced by at least one of the mob attacks that occurred as hundreds left the Blues Festival at Grant Park this weekend, sometimes the culprits aren't city-dwellers.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help