SWAT sniper fatally shoots Chicago gunman holding hostage
Editor's Note: Friday's hostage situation in Chicago was ended when a containment officer took advantage of a rare vantage point, fatally shooting the hostage-taker without injuring the hostage.
Be sure to read Time vs. Opportunity in hostage rescue, where P-1 columnist Charles Remsberg explores the life-or-death balance between the expenditure of time and seizing a critical opportunity in a standoff situaton. "Often command staff thinks if they can wait out the hostage-taker, there'll be a better chance of resolving the incident nonviolently. In reality that’s not always the case."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house