Indiana police search for gunman, kidnapper after 9-hour hostage situation
Police on Saturday issued an Amber Alert and said the children and their mother, 31-year-old Kimberly N. Walker, were in extreme danger. The children range in age from 16 months to 9 years old, authorities said.
Police were looking for Jerry D. White, 30, and believed he might be headed to Chicago after the shooting in the northern Indiana city. Detective Sgt. Bill Wargo said an arrest warrant with charges of attempted murder and several counts of confinement had been issued for White.
Police said White had apparently been harassing Walker, his ex-girlfriend, over the last few days, and her sister and her sister's boyfriend had decided to stay with her and the children.
About 2 a.m., White broke into Walker's house and shot her sister's boyfriend, Wargo said. Police said he held everyone hostage until about 11:30 a.m., when he fled and Walker's sister was able to call police.
The boyfriend was in critical condition with life-threatening injuries, police said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house