Texas: Fired nursing home worker in custody after armed stand-off
The Associated Press
Emergency crews stage near the Castle Manor Nursing Home, Tuesday, in Garland, Texas. A nursing home employee who was fired Tuesday barricaded himself inside the facility with a gun for about three hours before being taken into custody, police said. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)
No injuries were reported in the standoff in this Dallas suburb. Some residents got out, said police spokesman Joe Harn, but he did not know how many. Workers planned to check on the residents left inside.
A SWAT team was called in, and police talked with the man, Harn said. It wasn't immediately clear how he was taken into custody.
The Castle Manor nursing home has about 100 residents. Many relatives of residents waited outside during the standoff.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house