Texas: Fired nursing home worker in custody after armed stand-off
The Associated Press
Emergency crews stage near the Castle Manor Nursing Home, Tuesday, in Garland, Texas. A nursing home employee who was fired Tuesday barricaded himself inside the facility with a gun for about three hours before being taken into custody, police said. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)
No injuries were reported in the standoff in this Dallas suburb. Some residents got out, said police spokesman Joe Harn, but he did not know how many. Workers planned to check on the residents left inside.
A SWAT team was called in, and police talked with the man, Harn said. It wasn't immediately clear how he was taken into custody.
The Castle Manor nursing home has about 100 residents. Many relatives of residents waited outside during the standoff.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court