Ill. man leaving car crash takes hostages in stand-off
By Robert Channick
ELGIN, Ill. — An Elgin man fleeing the scene of a car crash tried to carjack two vehicles before taking refuge — and three hostages — in a downtown cellular phone store Saturday afternoon, police said.
The standoff, which occurred about a block from the Grand Victoria Casino, lasted less than 30 minutes before the man released the hostages unharmed and surrendered to police, authorities said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house