3 dead, 2 wounded in Ohio standoff
The Associated Press
SWANTON, Ohio- A man called police after stabbing his wife, then shot an investigating deputy before he was found dead with the couple's two children after a standoff with police, authorities said.
Clarence Saunders called police around 7 a.m. and reported that his wife, Patricia, was bleeding from a cut to the abdomen, authorities said. Patricia Saunders told medical personnel her husband had stabbed her, and they summoned deputies.
Deputy Rick Brock, who went into the home after the woman told him her husband was inside with the children, was shot twice in the shoulder before leaving the home, the sheriff's office said.
A negotiator made several calls to the home that went unanswered, beginning at about 9:35 a.m. Twelve minutes later, police officers from Lucas County entered the home and found the man and his children dead, authorities said.
Brock and Patricia Saunders were flown by medical helicopter to a hospital in nearby Toledo, police said. Hospital officials would not release their conditions late Saturday.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help