Police: Ohio gunman kills self after office standoff
The Associated Press
EUCLID, Ohio- A gunman burst into a medical building and held his ex-girlfriend hostage before fatally shooting himself in the head, police said. No one else was hurt.
The man had a history of abusive treatment toward the woman, whose name also was withheld until she could be reunited with relatives, Brooks said.
The man entered the office where the woman works and briefly held her co-workers hostage, Brooks said.
At one point, chiropractor Jim Cooper tried to disarm the man but the gunman was able to control the weapon, Brooks said.
The gunman eventually ordered his ex-girlfriend's co-workers to leave.
A hostage negotiator talked by phone with the gunman for nearly an hour before he shot himself in the head, Brooks said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms