Chicago police hunt for gunman after bank standoff
The Chicago Tribune
CHICAGO — A group of bank employees and customers taken hostage at a Far North Side branch by an armed robber were safe and accounted for this afternoon, said authorities, who would not comment about whether the gunman was arrested.
A SWAT unit left the area about 1:15 p.m., and a principal at a nearby school that had been on lockdown for hours said police had told him the hostage situation had ended. There were still street closures in the area, however.
A standoff with at least one armed robber, thought to be male, began about 9:42 a.m. at the First Commercial Bank branch, 6945 N. Clark St., authorities said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house