Man fatally shoots himself, injures woman during standoff in Utah
The Associated Press
OGDEN, Utah- A man fatally shot himself during a standoff with police, and a woman sitting next to him in the car was struck by his bone fragment, authorities said.
The standoff began after police received a call that Lee, 30, of South Ogden, had been taken from a women's shelter by her ex-boyfriend, against whom she had filed a protective order.
Lee was driving and Ryan Todd Oman, 21, of Ogden, was in the passenger seat with a handgun when police pulled the car over in a parking lot around 2:30 p.m., said assistant police Chief Randy Watt.
Lee told police she wasn't being held hostage, but was worried Oman would shoot himself if she got out of the car.
Oman shot himself just before 4 p.m. as a negotiator tried to talk to him, Watt said. He later died at the hospital.
Police had been looking for Oman in connection with a June 13 shooting.
Ogden is about 40 miles north of Salt Lake City.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police