4-hour Ore. standoff ends in suspect's suicide
Man found dead in Sandy sexually abused boys, police said
By PoliceOne Staff
SANDY, Ore. — A four-hour standoff ended Wednesday when police rushed the home of an armed fugitive and found the occupant dead, according to Oregon Live.
The Clackamas County SWAT team was responding to a man with a handgun, who had barricaded himself in and refused to surrender.
The suspect, Steven Routley, had been wanted for sex crimes, including sexual abuse, contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor, and using a child in a display of sexually explicit conduct, according to Oregon Live.
When officers approached Routley's home to serve the warrant, he barricaded himself in a home near the U.S. 26 highway.
According to the Sandy Post, Routley was a wanted felon who had been released from prison only last spring.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests