Chief writes letter to explain standoff
"If I were presented with the identical situation again, I would handle it exactly the way it was handled"
Editor’s Note:Editor's Note: This is a published letter from Phelam Police Chief Joseph Roark defending a 33-hour standoff with a 72-year-old man.
The Lowell Sun
To the citizens of Pelham,
As was reported in the media, your police officers responded to a call for assistance from a wife who came to the police station to advise that her husband was intoxicated and suicidal. She also indicated he was in possession of a handgun and that he had asked her to leave the house. The police department's assistance was then requested in checking her husband's well being.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Chief writes letter to explain standoff
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help