Nightlong motel standoff ends after man shoots self in chest
Suspect resisted arrest after suffering self-inflicted gunshot wound
By Ladd Brubaker
Salt Lake City Deseret News
OGDEN — A nightlong standoff between Ogden police and an armed man who had taken a woman hostage ended about 9 a.m. Saturday after SWAT officers forced their way into a motel room. The man, identified at Jason Valdez, 36, of Ogden, shot at police and then shot himself in the chest.
He remains hospitalized at McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden. No officers or others were injured during the 16-hour ordeal.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court