Nightlong motel standoff ends after man shoots self in chest
Suspect resisted arrest after suffering self-inflicted gunshot wound
By Ladd Brubaker
Salt Lake City Deseret News
OGDEN — A nightlong standoff between Ogden police and an armed man who had taken a woman hostage ended about 9 a.m. Saturday after SWAT officers forced their way into a motel room. The man, identified at Jason Valdez, 36, of Ogden, shot at police and then shot himself in the chest.
He remains hospitalized at McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden. No officers or others were injured during the 16-hour ordeal.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds