Authorities: Intoxicated officer arrested after Mont. standoff
The Associated Press
HAVRE, Mont.- An off-duty police officer who was apparently intoxicated and upset fired shots into his garage and into the air and held sheriff’s deputies at bay for about three hours before surrendering.
No charges were immediately filed, but the case has been referred to the county prosecutor’s office, Szudera said.
“He was intoxicated and in a disturbed, distressed state of mind,” the sheriff said. “He was threatening bodily harm to himself and anyone that came into his home.
Szudera said the incident apparently began at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday when Huston got his pickup truck high-centered on some rocks in a yard in Havre.
Huston got a ride home, where he apparently grabbed a firearm and started firing shots into the air and into his garage, the sheriff said.
According to city documents, Huston has worked with the Police Department for about 11 years.
Havre Assistant Police Chief George Tate told the Havre Daily News on Monday that he had no comment.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman