Police end standoff with Fla. gunman
By PoliceOne Staff
WELAKA, Fla. — A SWAT team negotiator used a cup of coffee to successfully end a two-hour standoff between a 61-year-old gunman and Putnam County Sheriff’s deputies.
According to one report, Keith Schneider had barricaded himself inside his home and then fired as many as 15 rounds— at least two in the direction of deputies — before he surrendered without further incident.
“Investigators said during their interview with Schneider he told them was experimenting with explosive devices,” said a report from WJXT-TV, which prompted a visit by an EOD team. No additional information on any explosives found — or not found — has yet been made available.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman