Video: Police forced to fire at Ohio man wielding rifle
The police chief suggested the suspect wanted the officers to kill him
DAYTON, Ohio — Police car video and audio show that a man ignored repeated orders to drop the assault rifle he was holding before Dayton police officers shot him to death. Police Chief Richard Biehl said officers discovered only after the shooting that the weapon was not loaded. Biehl suggested that 34-year-old Daniel Holt wanted the officers to kill him.
The Dayton Daily News reports that police released the in-car video Monday, following the fatal shooting Sunday of Holt by two officers at a city park near downtown.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help