Video: Bystander records shootout with Santa Cruz cop killer
A neighbor caught the shootout between officers and a suspect in Santa Cruz who had earlier shot two cops dead
By PoliceOne Staff
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. — A neighbor caught the shootout between officers and a suspect in Santa Cruz who had earlier shot two cops dead.
Sgt. Loran Butch Baker and detective Elizabeth Butler were investigating a sex crime when they entered the home of Jeremy Goulet, a 35-year-old barista accused of making inappropriate advances on a co-worker. Goulet reportedly shot and killed both officers.
In the video, neighbor Thomas Todd captures the response and resulting shootout as police yell orders back and forth, including, “Suspect down.”
Baker, a 28-year veteran of the force, and Butler, a 10-year veteran, had gone to the house where Goulet was living to follow up on the case, authorities said.
They were subsequently fired upon and called for backup.
"There aren't words to describe this horrific tragedy," said Police Chief Kevin Vogel. "This is the darkest day in the history of the Santa Cruz police department."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms