Man kills self in Pa. sports store bathroom ending standoff
The man barricaded himself for 4 hours before shooting himself; police say it was his second standoff situation
FAIRLESS HILLS, Pa. — Police say an armed man barricaded himself inside an eastern Pennsylvania sports store bathroom and killed himself.
Police say the man entered Dick's Sporting Goods in Fairless Hills on Saturday night and asked to see a shotgun and ammunition. Once the clerk handed those over, the man pulled out a handgun and ordered the worker to undo the shotgun's gun lock.
Police say the man then barricaded himself inside a bathroom in the Bucks County store. He didn't take any hostages.
The store and nearby businesses were evacuated during the four-hour-long standoff.
Police say the gunman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. His name wasn't immediately released. No one else was hurt.
Lt. Henry Ward says the man had been involved in a standoff with Middletown officers in 2002.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend