2 Texas cops shot, suspect in custody following standoff
The suicidal teen exchanged gunfire with police, eventually getting shot in the leg
Click 2 Houston
JACINTO CITY, Texas — The 17-year-old accused of shooting and wounding two Jacinto City police officers was taken into custody after a SWAT standoff that ended with him being shot.Jacinto City police said the whole ordeal began at the home around 6 p.m. Wednesday when two officers went to question Cuellar about a shooting that happened on Tuesday.
"As soon as officers arrived, they held him down because he wanted to leave out the back door as the officers walked in," Jacinto City Police Chief Joe Ayala said. "As officers walked in, he reached for his waistband and pulled out his pistol and started firing."
One of the officers, Lt. Dennis Walker, was shot in the chest and flown to Memorial Hermann Hospital. Police said his bulletproof vest likely saved his life. Sgt. Jennifer Simpson-Castenada was shot in the arm and was taken to Lydon B. Johnson Hospital. Both officers are expected to recover.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber
- Video: Ind. trooper informs drivers about 'pretty incredible' turn signal
- Del. officer, police cadet killed in off-duty crash