2 Texas cops shot, suspect in custody following standoff
The suicidal teen exchanged gunfire with police, eventually getting shot in the leg
Click 2 Houston
JACINTO CITY, Texas — The 17-year-old accused of shooting and wounding two Jacinto City police officers was taken into custody after a SWAT standoff that ended with him being shot.Jacinto City police said the whole ordeal began at the home around 6 p.m. Wednesday when two officers went to question Cuellar about a shooting that happened on Tuesday.
"As soon as officers arrived, they held him down because he wanted to leave out the back door as the officers walked in," Jacinto City Police Chief Joe Ayala said. "As officers walked in, he reached for his waistband and pulled out his pistol and started firing."
One of the officers, Lt. Dennis Walker, was shot in the chest and flown to Memorial Hermann Hospital. Police said his bulletproof vest likely saved his life. Sgt. Jennifer Simpson-Castenada was shot in the arm and was taken to Lydon B. Johnson Hospital. Both officers are expected to recover.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend