Okla. cop saves 2-year-old, kills suspect with single shot
The girl was unharmed, and returned safely to her mother
By PoliceOne Staff
MIDWEST CITY, Okla. — A man snatched a two-year-old girl from a Wal-Mart shopping cart and held her at knifepoint for more than half an hour while officers tried to talk him into surrendering.
Witnesses described the man as being “really erratic,” reportedly saying at one point that he had “nothing to live for” and “nothing to lose.”
The store was quickly evacuated and officers responded, making contact with the suspect. Negotiations failed, and when the assailant began “counting down” the last seconds of the young girl’s life, one of the officers shot and killed the suspect with a single gunshot.
The girl was unharmed, and returned safely to her mother.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen