Mass. police, SWAT end 9-hour standoff with robber
Brian Kalil, who was wanted for allegedly robbing a TD Bank branch, stayed in his home as police tried making contact
By Nicholas Jacques
The Boston Globe
QUINCY, Mass. — A standoff between a suspected bank robber and police and a SWAT team on Furnace Brook Parkway in Quincy ended peacefully after more than nine hours Thursday evening, authorities said.
The incident began at about 1:30 p.m. when Wellesley police arrived at 1045 Furnace Brook Parkway to arrest Brian Kalil, who was wanted for allegedly robbing a TD Bank branch on Worcester Street in Wellesley Sunday afternoon, police said.
Officials at the scene determined that Kalil was home alone, but he was not responding to officers’ attempts to contact him, Wellesley police said in a statement.
Fearing the suspect may have been armed, officers attempted to remove Kalil from his home using “tactical maneuvers,” the statement said.
The standoff ended without incident at about 10:45 p.m., police said, but no details were given on how the situation was resolved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend