Man wielding replica gun killed in OIS
Brad Morgan, 21, told dispatchers he wanted police to kill him
By PoliceOne Staff
PORTLAND, Ore. — Police fatally shot a man who threatened to jump from a roof and pulled a fake gun from his pocket Wednesday.
Brad Morgan, 21, reportedly called 911 and told dispatchers he wanted police to kill him as he stood atop a parking garage after allegedly committing a robbery, according to The Statesman Journal. During the call Morgan said he shot someone, and Portland police said he answered "possibly" when asked if he had a weapon and said he wanted to jump from the building.
A Crisis Negotiation Team with a focus on mental illness was called to aid in negotiations, according to reports, but before it arrived Morgan pointed the replica handgun at two police officers, who opened fire.
Police climbed the building using fire ladders and found Morgan dead. An autopsy determined he died of a single gunshot to the head, according to KTVL. The two officers involved have been placed on leave.
Chief Mike Reese defended his department's approach and said all officers have crisis intervention training.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman