Video: Police forced to fire at Ohio man wielding rifle
The police chief suggested the suspect wanted the officers to kill him
DAYTON, Ohio — Police car video and audio show that a man ignored repeated orders to drop the assault rifle he was holding before Dayton police officers shot him to death. Police Chief Richard Biehl said officers discovered only after the shooting that the weapon was not loaded. Biehl suggested that 34-year-old Daniel Holt wanted the officers to kill him.
The Dayton Daily News reports that police released the in-car video Monday, following the fatal shooting Sunday of Holt by two officers at a city park near downtown.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police