El Paso police kill man in suicide by cop
EL PASO- El Paso police Tuesday afternoon shot and killed a man who they say was suicidal and pointed a gun at them.
According to a police news release, three officers went to a west El Paso home in response to a relative's report about a suicidal man.
The relative told police that 58-year-old William Ecker was armed with a handgun, had locked himself in a room and fired the gun.
Police say the officers entered the house and encountered Ecker, who opened the room's door holding a gun. Ecker refused police demands to drop the gun and then aimed it at the officers, prompting the officers to shoot him.
Police say Ecker died at the scene.
The police involved in the shooting were Sergeant Christine Whitaker and Officers Joseph Duarte and Amanda Vega.
Investigations are being conducted by the police department and the District Attorney's Office.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight