Chase leads to Ill. police shooting
BOURBONNAIS, Ill.- A traffic stop in Bourbonnais turned dangerous this morning when the driver and a Kankakee County deputy exchanged gunfire.
Kankakee County Chief of Investigation Ken McCabe says the deputy tried to stop a car that had fled from police. After a short chase, the driver bailed from the car.
McCabe says the driver then fired at officers and was shot.
It is unclear why the driver ran from police. There is no word yet on his condition.
The shooting has been turned over to Illinois State Police investigators.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform