Tenn. school security guard shot, police chase suspect
The Associated Press
The shooting occurred Tuesday night, shortly after the guard reported to dispatchers that he was checking on a vehicle with Virginia plates in the parking lot and a man there appeared to be intoxicated, Knox County Sheriff Tim Hutchison said.
The guard, Russell B. Kocur, 39, then told dispatchers he had been shot, and officers arrived to find him on the ground with a gunshot wound in the back. He died in an ambulance.
Police and sheriff's deputies spotted the guard's missing cruiser several miles from the school. The driver attempted to ram another cruiser, fought with officers and had to be shocked with a Taser before being arrested.
A .22-caliber pistol that investigators believe is the murder weapon was found the car.
Authorities on Wednesday said they could not yet release the suspect's name, but said he told police he was homeless and from Virginia.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house