N.C. officer dies chasing suspect
HOPE MILLS, N.C. -- A North Carolina police sergeant died Thursday after collapsing while chasing a suspect.
Authorities say Sergeant James Keith Hardin, 35, was running along US 301 at the time with a K9 and another officer.
According to the Cumberland County Sheriff’s watch commander, suspect Ricky Allen Wilson, Jr., was captured on Thursday at 5:25 p.m. He was wanted on a misdemeanor charge of unauthorized use of motor vehicle. He’s now also charged with felony speeding to elude arrest.
Hardin, who had been promoted from corporal to sergeant in July, is survived by his wife, Shelly, and two children.
Copyright 2007 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms