N.C. officer dies chasing suspect
HOPE MILLS, N.C. -- A North Carolina police sergeant died Thursday after collapsing while chasing a suspect.
Authorities say Sergeant James Keith Hardin, 35, was running along US 301 at the time with a K9 and another officer.
According to the Cumberland County Sheriff’s watch commander, suspect Ricky Allen Wilson, Jr., was captured on Thursday at 5:25 p.m. He was wanted on a misdemeanor charge of unauthorized use of motor vehicle. He’s now also charged with felony speeding to elude arrest.
Hardin, who had been promoted from corporal to sergeant in July, is survived by his wife, Shelly, and two children.
Copyright 2007 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman