Ky. deputies find 7-year-old at the wheel following hit, run
The Associated Press
FLEMINGSBURG, Ky.- Police got a surprise when they stopped a van following a hit-and-run crash on Kentucky's Mountain Parkway: A 7-year-old boy was at the wheel, sitting on his father's lap.
When police caught up with the van on Interstate 64, Waters was working the foot pedals and his son Cody was on his lap steering, Clark County Sheriff's Deputy Ricky Estes said. He described Waters as "semiconscious."
"He said he was en route to Florida, and his son was going to get him there," Estes said.
Waters' 3-year-old son was also in the van, Estes said. He said it appeared Waters had been living out of the vehicle.
The children were taken by social services. Waters, meanwhile, faces several charges, including resisting arrest, carrying a concealed deadly weapon, leaving the scene of an accident and driving under the influence.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper