Suspect's car in police chase kills driver in Phila.
By Jeff Shields
PHILADELPHIA - During a police chase in South Philadelphia, this car was struck near Seventh and Christian Streets. The driver is believed to have been killed in the accident. Robert Matunda and Maren Reese had packed up their Honda Element on Monday, preparing to haul their fashion and jewelry designs to a convention in Chicago, when the unthinkable happened.
Matunda was killed instantly; Reese, in the passenger seat, survived and was in stable condition at Thomas Jefferson University Medical Center last night, Philadelphia police said.
The two had dropped their 6-month-old boy at Reese's mother's house on Saturday in anticipation of the trip, said Detective Sgt. James Schrack. Matunda was killed just a few blocks from the couple's home in the 600 block of Reed Street. They ran their business, Letau Designs, out of their home, according to the company's Web site.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform