Man flees N.Y. police, jumps into river
GLENVILLE, N.Y. — A Connecticut man is in an upstate New York jail after he led police on a chase and then jumped into the Mohawk River near Schenectady.
Police say 1 of the detectives fired his weapon at the vehicle, hitting a tire. Nantz drove the car toward the Mohawk River before it got stuck and burst into flames.
Nantz then jumped into the river and swam to Lock Eight on the Erie Canal, where he climbed a ladder to a catwalk over a dam. Police threw a flotation device to Nantz, who put it on and then jumped from the catwalk.
He was swept down the river being pulled from the water by firefighters.
Police say they recovered the painkiller OxyContin from the scene.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house