Calif. deputy chases ATV rider
The Associated Press
BEAUMONT, Calif. — A Banning man was killed this morning after he led a sheriff's deputy on a chase on an all-terrain vehicle and crashed into a sheriff's squad car.
The 20-year-old man was pronounced dead at the corner of 1st Street and Beaumont Avenue. The deputy inside the squad car was not injured.
A Riverside County sheriff's deputy from the Beaumont station tried to pull over the man, who was driving a four-wheel ATV on a city street at 12:33 a.m., deputies said.
The rider sped away and led the deputy on a chase. At 1st and Beaumont, the man ran a red light and crashed into the sheriff's vehicle. That deputy had been traveling south on Beaumont Avenue, deputies said.
The California Highway Patrol's Major Accident Investigation Team came to the scene to investigate the crash.
Officers closed Highway 79 between California Avenue and 1st Street as a result of the crash, causing traffic from the San Jacinto Valley to back up at least four miles.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy