Escaped inmate shot after pursuit
The Associated Press
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Authorities say an escaped inmate from a Nashville jail has been shot by a Murfreesboro police officer after a high-speed chase.
The suspect was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center. His name and condition have not been released.
Murfreesboro Police told The Daily News Journal that the chase started at a convenience store, where the suspect fled in a vehicle, driving more than 100 mph near the Cannon County line.
After his vehicle malfunctioned, authorities say the man carjacked a driver and headed back into Murfreesboro in the outbound lane.
Police say the suspect collided with another vehicle and got out his car and attempted to carjack another vehicle, when police say the officer shot the suspect.
The name of officer has not been released. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is reviewing the incident.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help