Detroit police chase leaves one dead, one injured
DETROIT — Authorities say one person has died after a fiery crash in Detroit in which police were chasing a stolen pickup truck when it collided with a minivan, struck a utility pole and then burst into flames.
Police said Thursday that the truck's driver died and the driver of the minivan had minor injuries.
Television stations WJBK and WDIV aired the chase live. The video shows the truck driving along Michigan Avenue when it's struck by a minivan. The truck begins to flip over when it hits another vehicle and a utility pole. The truck immediately explodes and flames blacken the road and nearby sidewalk.
Fire and rescue crews soon extinguish the flames.
Authorities say police began chasing the truck after it was stolen out of the Detroit suburb of Monroe.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds