Handcuffed Fla. man opened car door, escaped
Ridgh Genesis Achille, 19, escaped after complaining he was claustrophobic and couldn't breathe
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. — Police in central Florida say a man who was handcuffed somehow managed to open a police cruiser's door and escape after complaining he was claustrophobic and couldn't breathe.
Altamonte Springs police say the officer had opened the windows slightly for 19-year-old Ridgh Genesis Achille, who had been arrested Friday night on a shoplifting charge. On the way to the jail, the man somehow opened the door from the outside and took off running.
The Orlando Sentinel reports that officers, police dogs and even a helicopter were still trying to find Achille on Saturday morning.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help