Two arrested for killing sheriff laying down spike strips
Will face death or life without parole if convicted of capital murder
LUCEDALE, Miss. — Two people have been charged with capital murder in the death of a Mississippi sheriff struck while putting out spikes to stop the suspects during a police chase.
District Attorney Tony Lawrence says 18-year-old Brandy Nicole Williams and 24-year-old Christopher Lee Baxter were arrested Thursday morning at a mobile home in a neighboring county.
If either is convicted of capital murder in George County Sheriff Garry Welford's death, the sentence is death or life without the possibility of parole.
Lawrence says the pursuit began after Baxter missed his sentencing date Monday on a drug charge.
Welford was throwing spikes on a road to try to stop a pickup when he was struck.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help