Driver dies during high-speed pursuit
Crash occurred as officers called for assistance
By John Coté
The San Francisco Chronicle
SAN JOSE, Calif. — A San Jose man was killed this morning in a high-speed chase with Santa Clara County deputies after his pickup slammed into an empty ethanol tanker truck, police said.
Jesus Loera, 21, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on East Santa Clara Street just beyond the Highway 101 overpass, San Jose police Sgt. Jason Dwyer said. The passenger in the pickup, a 22-year-old San Jose resident, was taken to Regional Medical Center of San Jose with undisclosed injuries. The person was not identified. The tanker truck driver was not hurt, police said.
The pursuit started after several residents on Cragmont Avenue and nearby streets in east San Jose called to report multiple vehicles doing doughnuts in the street and driving recklessly at about 5 a.m., Sheriff's Sgt. Rick Sung said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Driver dies during high-speed pursuit
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert