Driver dies during high-speed pursuit
Crash occurred as officers called for assistance
By John Coté
The San Francisco Chronicle
SAN JOSE, Calif. — A San Jose man was killed this morning in a high-speed chase with Santa Clara County deputies after his pickup slammed into an empty ethanol tanker truck, police said.
Jesus Loera, 21, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on East Santa Clara Street just beyond the Highway 101 overpass, San Jose police Sgt. Jason Dwyer said. The passenger in the pickup, a 22-year-old San Jose resident, was taken to Regional Medical Center of San Jose with undisclosed injuries. The person was not identified. The tanker truck driver was not hurt, police said.
The pursuit started after several residents on Cragmont Avenue and nearby streets in east San Jose called to report multiple vehicles doing doughnuts in the street and driving recklessly at about 5 a.m., Sheriff's Sgt. Rick Sung said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Driver dies during high-speed pursuit
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court