Man flees Ohio police, takes fatal bridge jump
Police say a burglary suspect fled a police cruiser
DAYTON, Ohio — Authorities in western Ohio say a burglary suspect traveling in a police cruiser used his head to break a window and escape on a bridge, then jumped to his death.
Dayton police Lt. Kim Hill tells the Dayton Daily News the officer transporting the suspect Saturday night pulled over after the man began banging his head on a rear window. Hill says the suspect went head-first out the window and dove over the side of the bridge.
Part of the bridge crosses the Great Miami River, but police say the man fell several stories onto on a flat, rocky area.
They did not immediately release details about the suspect or say whether drugs or alcohol were factors in the incident.
An autopsy was planned.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help