Daughter's tip leads NY cops to daddy in attic
Four-year-old: 'Daddy is scared and hiding in the attic'
MASSENA, N.Y. — Kids say the darndest things, especially when daddy is trying to hide from the police.
State police say troopers went to John Colby's home in Massena in northern New York on Sunday morning to serve two warrants for his arrest for failure to appear in court for vehicle and traffic violations.
Troopers say Colby's 27-year-old live-in girlfriend told them she didn't know where Colby was. But then the couple's 4-year-old daughter chimed in, telling police that "daddy is scared and hiding in the attic."
Troopers checked out the attic and found the 30-year-old Colby. He was charged with bail jumping, obstructing governmental administration and resisting arrest.
Colby was being held in the St. Lawrence County jail pending a court appearance Wednesday. It couldn't be determined if he had a lawyer.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house