NY cops: Woman speeds off in ambulance, crashes
Chase that reached almost 100 mph before ambulance crashed
BUFFALO, N.Y. — Police say a woman who stole an ambulance at a New York hospital led them on a chase that reached almost 100 mph before she crashed.
Buffalo police tell local media the woman got into the ambulance at the Erie County Medical Center and took off at about 6:30 a.m. Sunday.
They say she was chased by medical center police and narrowly missed pedestrians and other vehicles as she sped through intersections, lost control and hit a parking lot wall.
Authorities say 37-year-old Heather Sullivan, a patient at the hospital, is being held Monday at the Erie County jail. She's facing reckless endangerment, grand larceny, criminal possession of a stolen vehicle and other charges.
Jail officials couldn't be reached to determine if she has a lawyer.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Bizarre Beat
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house