Suspect nabbed in pursuit suing for $17 million
By PoliceOne Staff
HACKENSACK, N.J. — A man who led New Jersey cops on a wild, high-speed pursuit through six towns is now suing Bergen County for $17 million, claiming that he was surrendering when an officer shot at him.
Dash-cam video shows much of the pursuit — which began when two subjects fled a botched burglary — including the point at which the chase terminates and a suspect can be seen fleeing on foot into a wooded area.
“That’s when one of the officers is heard firing his weapon as a suspect runs into the woods,” reported CBSNewYork.
In addition to the civil suit — filed by 36-year-old Francesco Piserchia — the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office is using the video to investigate allegations that the officers “tampered with the crime scene and removed evidence.”
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house