Cab driver shoots cop during traffic stop
The driver of the cab has reportedly been arrested following a pursuit with police, the officer is in critical condition
ALEXANDRIA, Va. — The officer that was shot by a taxi driver during a traffic stop for a minor offense on Wednesday is in critical condition, the Alexandria Police Department said.
The officer was found on the ground and motorcycle on its side before he was medevaced to the hospital, reports WUSA 9's Surae Chinn. The officer suffered life threatening injuries, say officials.
Officials are asking drivers to avoid the area of St. Asaph and Wilkes Street.
The spokesperson says the taxi driver was chased to Fort Hunt Road near Belle View Boulevard. The driver was apprehended, according to the spokesperson.
The photos above are from the two scenes. Photos show that the driver was in an Alexandria Yellow Cab.
Fairfax County police tweeted that Fort Hunt Road will remain closed between Bellview Boulevard and Wake Forest Drive for at least the next couple of hours.
Reprinted with permission from WUSA9
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police