Pregnant woman arrested after assaulting guard, kidnapping 2
She escaped custody at a hospital and held a woman and her baby at knife point
CORNING, N.Y. — Authorities say a pregnant New York fugitive who escaped custody by jumping out a window at a Pennsylvania hospital has been charged with kidnapping a mother and baby during her getaway.
The sheriff's office in Steuben County, N.Y., says 35-year-old Billie Jo Ribble, of Bath, was arraigned in federal court Tuesday. She also faces local charges relating to a burglary and her escape last week in Tioga County, Pa.
Officials say she assaulted the jail guard watching her, then jumped from a third-story window onto a second-story rooftop, where she used a ladder to reach the ground.
Officials say Ribble took a Wellsboro, Pa., woman and her infant hostage at knifepoint and forced the mother to drive her to New York.
Ribble's lawyer didn't return a call seeking comment.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house