2 Detroit officers shot, suspect killed in shootout
One officer was released from the hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg, the other is in critical condition, suffering a shot to the head
By PoliceOne Staff
DETRIOT — Two Detroit police officers were wounded and a homicide suspect was killed in a shootout Tuesday night following a pursuit.
The officers were searching for a suspect connected to a homicide that took place last Thursday when he was spotted and a pursuit ensued. The suspect opened fire, hitting one officer in the head and the other in the leg, according to WXZY.com.
The officers returned fire, killing the subject, identified as Matthew Joseph, 23, who was on parole for armed robbery and felony firearms convictions.
The officer who was shot in the leg was released from the hospital, while the other remains in critical condition, according to the article. Neither officer has been identified.
Bystander Laura Thompson, 73, told media sources that there were three suspects in the vehicle being pursued. The other two subjects are reportedly in custody.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police