Video: Teen leads Ill. cop on pursuit that ends in gunfire, crash
The boy, 14, was taken into police custody and no one was seriously injured
MANITOWOC — The Manitowoc Police Department has released video footage of the June 12 police chase in which officer Larry Perronne fired seven live rounds from his handgun at a truck that was recklessly speeding through the city, according to the Wisconsin Department of Justice.
During the high-speed chase, a 14-year-old boy from Illinois driving a stolen pickup truck slammed into an occupied police vehicle. Perronne, who was in the rammed squad car and suffered minor injures, pulled his gun and fired at the vehicle. The truck came to rest and the teen was taken into custody. No one was injured during the shooting.
The officer "feared for his safety and the safety of others" when he fired several shots to stop the vehicle, Sheriff Robert Hermann told the media at the conclusion of his department's review. Perronne will not be charged with criminal wrongdoing.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman